Thursday, November 03, 2005

What's in a name?

I had planned to escape for long enough to fit in a sneaky lesson but it wasn't to be. It would probably have been easier to fly to the office today but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself!

In the absence of a lesson log I decided I'd explain the blog title... realising too late that it might sound rather morbid and foreboding, particularly with some of the background to my previous post.

For the non-pilots among you, deadside is the area on the other side of the aerodrome from the circuit which, as I'll no doubt explain properly in a future post, is the strictly organised stack'em / pack'em / rack'em bit prior to landing. So you usually approach the airport from deadside, the non-active bit before being allowed to join the circuit.

Each aerodrome will have its own instructions for joining the circuit, called joining instructions strangely enough. At Biggin Hill you're usually asked to call the tower when you're 3 miles out: as you'll usually be approaching from deadside the radio call is '3 miles deadside' to indicate your location and distance.

There. You really wanted to know that didn't you?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?